Palazzo Grassi, also known as Palazzo Grassi-Stucky, is yet another imposing palace on the Grand Canal in Venice. It is the last major Venetian palace built before the Napoleonic occupation. Located in San Marco, the building fetches by the massiveness of its structure and by the severity of its simple square plan which distinguishes Palazzo Grassi from the typical Venetian palaces (most of them visibly marked by Romanesque, Byzantine and Renaissance influences).

It took 24 years for the construction works to be completed. They were initiated in 1748 and completed in 1772, being carried out under the supervision of Giorgio Massari, the mark of whom is reflected by the Baroque elements and overall dash of the facade. Speaking of the facade, it is not characterized by the decorative lushness typical of most of the grand palaces of Venice. Simple and rather formal, it is a severe white marble facade which, by its own massiveness, contributes to the robustness of the overall structure. The palace is also provided with a 600-seat auditorium located in the garden of the edifice.

The palace bears the name of its original owners. The Grassi family sold the palace in the mid 19th century (1840), and since then its owners changed repeatedly. For instance, the Fiat Group bought the palace in 1983 with the aim of turning it into a cultural and artistic venue. The palace eventually became an art gallery, being home to the private art collection of Francois Pinault, a French businessman. On occasion, the palace also shelters sundry temporary theme exhibits, which is why it can be deemed one of the major art galleries in Venice.

Name:
Palazzo Grassi (Palazzo Grassi-Stucky)
Address:
Campo San Samuele, San Marco, Venice, Italy
Telephone:
0039 041 2719039
Website:
www.palazzograssi.it
Opening hours:
daily: 10am to 7pm

Campo San Samuele, San Marco, Venice, Italy

Go to top