The Church of San Zulian is, it too, located in San Marco, bordering the very Mercerie, which means its tourist visibility is guaranteed. The local traditions maintain this place of worship dates back to the 9th century, but, in truth, much of the present structure, not to mention the decorative patrimony, was delineated no sooner than the mid 16th century. Tommaso Rangone (a wealthy physician and astrologer who made his fortune from selling syphilis cures) was the one who took the initiative of reconstructing the ancient edifice, commissioning Jacopo Sansovino in 1553 to do design the new church. The construction works were completed, however, no sooner than 1570, after the death of Sansovino, and the church was consecrated in 1580. Sansovino’s successor was Alessandro Vittoria.

Tommaso Rangone’s generosity in supporting the costs of the construction was repaid, so to speak, by placing a bonze sculpture which renders the face of Rangone on the facade, above the portal. Inside the church there are a handful of pictorial masterpieces, including works by Palma il Giovane (such as the scene of Saint Julian in Glory, which adorns the central section of the ceiling), Paolo Veronese (a Pieta created in 1584 and placed on the first altar on the right, next to a Last Supper, as well as the Dead Christ and Saints, on the right side of the portal), as well as by Alessandro Vittoria (some of the ceiling paintings), Leonardo Corona and Giovanni Fiammingo (the upper murals). The terracotta and marble works by Girolamo Campagna, which render the figures of the Virgin and of Mary Magdalene, are also part of the artistic patrimony of the church.

Name:
Church of San Zulian (Chiesa di San Zulian / Chiesa di San Giuliano)
Address:
Campo San Zulian, San Marco, 30124, Venice, Italy


Go to top